Our neighbors on the west end of Como are all too familiar with the State Fair spilling into the neighborhood in a variety of ways each year. (You can sign up here for the Fair Neighbors newsletter, including the daily fair-time updates.)
This year we’re also featuring Como community members who are showcased AT the Fair. We’re hoping to hear from some more Como Fair artisans, bakers, and growers in the coming week, but here’s a list of Como Community to add to your Fair dance card:
- Early Weinert (2nd Grade) – K-12 Diorama Contest in the Education Building
- Rachel Bye – Quilt on a Stick (crowing rooster in front of the Sheep-Poultry building) in the Creative Activities Building
- Rachel Gartner – Cross-Stich (Category 179 – Celtic Lady Autumn; orange, red, & gold) in the Creative Activities Building
- Amy Marshall – Quilt on a Stick (boy sleeping with his cow in morning light) in the Creative Activities Building
- Bridget Mans – Crop Art (picture of a bird) in the Agriculture and Horticulture Building
- Catrina Ciccone – Crop Art (Weather map with <3 you Gram) in the Agriculture and Horticulture Building
- Joel Alter – Crop Art, second place ribbon (picture of a person outlining a body at a crime scene using seeds) in the Agriculture and Horticulture Building
- Aaron Barnes & Morgan Weinert – Peppers (Group 4, which are put out Sept. 2) in the Agriculture and Horticulture Building
- Jon Heyer – peppers, beans, and tomatoes (already won 4 ribbons!) in the Agriculture and Horticulture Building
- Jon will also receive the State Fair’s 50 year award at the Leinie Lodge bandshell at 9:50am on Saturday Sept. 2
- Jeffery Thole – Potted Plant Competition (8/24-25) – 3 Winners! – Purple Prince Plant, Coleus – Fairway Orange, & Calamondin Orange in the Agriculture and Horticulture Building
- Bonus: Sheila Mullen (D10 Staff’s Mom) – Choc. Chip Cookies & Apple Bread in Creative Activities Building (She moved to Woodbury for some reason, don’t hold that against her)
- MNSeed – UFGA Table Sunday 8/24 9-11am in the Agriculture and Horticulture Building
- Jennifer Victor Larsen – Donate Good Stuff (Where to donate (almost) anything and make 10x the impact of recycling) – Eco Experience Sustainability Stage – Tuesday 8/29 @ 10am & Monday 9/4 at 4pm
- Stephanie Mirocha (Como Tree Trek Guide!) – Otter Creations (paintings and jewelry) Center Aisle of Merchandise Mart
- Mehr Aslani is slinging directions daily at the Information booth across from the Haunted House. He knows where the cheese curds are!
- Shevek McKee (D10 Staff) – Kiwanis Malt Shop* just north of 4H building. (*A handful of shifts, come let Kiwanis know you missed them at the Ice Cream Social this year!)
Do you vie for a coveted blue ribbon with your peppers, baked goods, crop art, or other artisan activities?! Do you have a stall where you sell your art or other creations?
We’d still love to hear from you and share your efforts with the community. It’s always fun to have a specific muffin or collection to look for! You can send your name, Fair entry, and where it can be found (at least the building) to email@example.com.
Como Community Outside the Gates
The Fair Neighbors Safety Initiative has been preparing for the 2023 fair. All are welcome at their upcoming meetings:
- August 23, 6:30pm, State Fair Eve – Gathering at the garden at Midway and Arona
- August 24, 9:00am– 1st of daily 9am State Fair morning meetings, garden at Midway and Arona
You can sign up here for their newsletter, including daily fair-time updates. They also have a WhatsApp group for emergency messaging during the fair, you can get connected by attending a meeting or responding to a newsletter.
They’re looking for more volunteers! Help with trash pickup, serve as a communication connector for your block, or just be available to be a visible and helpful presence in the neighborhood. Sign up to volunteer here.
Thanks so much to Kate, Jennifer, and Cindy, the volunteer neighbors who lead the Neighbor’s Safety Initiative who put so much time and effort into helping to smooth the myriad rough edges that come with living next to the fair!
State Fair Overlay District?
D10 Como Community Council has a “Neighbor’s Guide” to the special rules and regulations of the State Fair Overlay District in effect during the fair, including detailed maps, links to specific ordinance texts related to Parking (Yard, Street, and Alley), Vending & Peddling, Golf Carts, and who to call to report violations.
Bike to the Fair? Note that the South Bicycle Parking lot has moved to the Loop Gate (near the Miracle of Birth building), they say it’s larger than the old location to so it’s okay to tell your friends.
Also: The Milk Run 5K, traditionally held during the first Sunday of the fair, was moved to the Kickoff to Summer event over Memorial Day Weekend, so it won’t take place during the fair.