D10 Como Community Council Volunteer Opportunities
We know our Como neighbors get involved. If you want us to reach out to you for future volunteering opportunities, you can select your interests and sign up on our Volunteer Interest Form.
A couple of things to consider when you are looking for volunteer opportunities:
- The best way to know what’s going on is to subscribe to our Friday email newsletter.
- If you have a specific issue or area you want to get involved in, send us an email. It’s very likely we can connect you with other residents looking to do the same thing.
For example, there are active groups of neighbors who work on Como Lake water quality issues, who maintain public wildflower gardens, who share seeds, who promote rain gardens and home composting, who remove invasive plants from public lands, and who help seniors.
Pick a project
We are trying to figure out how to get more neighborhood businesses into our neighborhood, how to get neighbors who live in apartment communities to share their voice in community activities, how to alleviate parking and traffic pressure from State Fair visitors, and what’s going on at the former Sholom Home site construction on Midway Parkway.
We also have annual and recurring events – such as the Citywide Drop-off at the State Fairgrounds, Como Blood Drives, Sub-district Events (including our July Ice Cream Social), Community Drives, and Como Lake Clean-Ups – that can always use one-time volunteer help. And there are city events – such as the spring Parks Clean-Up and National Night Out in August – where Como residents can make a difference locally.
Join the Board or a Committee
Then, of course, we have our Board and three standing committees, which oversee much of this activity. All community members are welcome to attend and participate in committee and Board meetings.
- Environment meets on the second Tuesday of the month
- Land Use meets on the first Wednesday of the month
- Neighborhood Relations meets on the first Tuesday of the month
All meetings are at 7 p.m. on Zoom.