9 Elected to Como Community Council Board
After nearly two weeks of voting, Como community members elected three new District 10 board members, re-elected four incumbents, and elevated two current members to officer positions. Elected to two-year terms, which begin May 4:
- Chair: Jill Henricksen
- Secretary: Jennifer Nelson
- At Large: Sarah Reuter, Chad Smith (new), and Jennifer Victor-Larsen
- Sub-District 1: Morgan Weinert (new)
- Sub-District 2: Maggie Zimmerman
- Sub-District 3: Matthew Brown (new)
- Sub-District 4: Benjamin Kowalsky-Grahek
Voting in the annual board elections took place between April 9 and April 20. A total of 175 community members voted either online or by paper ballot. Outgoing board members Sara Benzkofer, Melissa Liu, Amanda Rohrer, Marika Staloch, and Debra Verber did not seek re-election.
Special elections coming
The elections of Henricksen and Nelson to officer roles mean there will be special elections in May to fill the seats they previously held on the board. Elections will take place for:
- One At Large seat; any District 10 community member can vote in this special election.
- One seat from Sub-District 3; current board members and community members who live between Victoria, Larpenteur, Dale, and north of the railroad tracks can vote in this special election.
In accordance with District 10’s by-laws, winners of the special elections will serve until April 2022 – the remainder of Henricksen’s and Nelson’s current terms.
How to run: Community members who want to run for a seat in the special election can fill out this application by Sunday May 9.
How to vote: The voting period will be Monday May 10 through Tuesday May 18. Community members who want to vote must request a ballot.
Who is eligible: Renters, homeowners, and other residents of District 10 who are at least 16 years old can run for the board or vote. So can representatives from business, nonprofits, or other organizations with a physical presence in District 10. (Map of District 10) If you have questions, email us.