Minutes - 8/2010
Saturday, August 07, 2010 12:25 PM

 

District 10 Como Park

Executive Committee Meeting

Streetcar Station

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

7:00-9:00 PM

 

Meeting Minutes

 

Board members present: Jon Knox (chair), Panod Klongtruatroke, Marcy Micek

Staff attending: Rhonda DeBough

Attendees present: Betsy Werwhein, Sally Worku (Como TIP PAC Alternate) 

Board member excused: Marsha Milgrom

 

  1. Call to order 7:10 PM
  2. Approval of Agenda
  3. Como TIP Discussion – Sally Worku
  1. Ms. Worku would like to publicize the August 12 Como TIP Open House at the Zoo and Conservatory Visitors Center.
  2. Ms. Worku requested input on when to publish early Como TIP concept drawings to engage the public.  
  3. Ms. Werwhein inquired about the District 10 approval process, timelines and how it relates to the City approval process.
  1. The discussion was referred back to Como TIP Ad Hoc and Neighborhood Relations Committee for further clarification and recommendation.

Discussion ended because of time;  the August Council Meeting will include a Como TIP update during the Community Section.  Como TIP work will continue with the Como TIP Ad Hoc and Neighborhood Relations Committee.

Crime Meeting Discussion

  1. Dolores Rufenacht will host a special Neighborhood Safety Committee meeting on Wednesday, August 11, 2010 at the Streetcar Station.  Special guests include new Commander of the Western District, SPPD,  Todd Axtell and Crime Prevention Coordinator for SPPD, Pam McCreary.  The guests will meet with residents of District 10 to answer questions regarding recent crime  in Como, offer suggestions on how to prevent crimes, and instruction in case residents are victims of crime.
  2. Ms. Werwhein asked if the Park Watch program is still available?  Members did not know the status of the program.

Communication Committee Update - Panod Klongtruatroke

  1. Communications would like to assign a monthly task for staff 
  1. August task : ConstantContact Update; Ms. DeBough agrees.

Unable to fill the quarterly newsletter editor position; Could this be a staff position?

  1. Ms. DeBough would like to ask if previous editor, Mr. Matt Schmitt would be able to publish one final cycle this Fall?  She will also assist in searching for additional candidates.

To broaden District 10 outreach, the next Communications Meeting will occur at a location away from the Streetcar Station (August - October)

  1. Either North Dale Recreation Center or a location in Energy Park

Communication Committee requests to comply with City Grant

  1. Nixle should be promoted on the homepage; a safety article to be included in the Fall newsletter

Community Organizer Report

  1. Ms. DeBough proposed altering the staffing structure
  1. Ms. DeBough would take on additional responsibilities after Labor Day
  1. she would become more responsible regarding finances, grant reporting
  2. request increasing hours from 25 to 30 hours a week

Switching Mr. Nick Smith’s role from intern to staff at $7.50/hr for 10 hours a week between Labor Day and December 31, 2010.

Mr. Knox will review the request along with Ms. DeBough’s annual review in the next few weeks.

Ms. DeBough would like to explore a joint bookkeeper with District 7, who specializes in District Council.  She will provide additional information in the future.

Upcoming special elections August 17, 2010.

  1. Subdistrict 2 vacancy (term ends October 2010); At-Large vacancy (term ends October 2011) 
  2. 2 candidates have sent in applications, each from Subdistrict 1 and 2.
  3. Mr. Panod Klongtruatroke will be chairing the Council meeting while Mr. Knox is away on personal business.

The Apple desktop needs servicing and will be down for several days.  The service is covered under warranty.

Annual Pancake Breakfast is coming up. Ms. Monica Lofgren may be interested in helping with the event.

October Annual Meeting, October 19, 2010

  1. Begin promoting and inviting potential board candidates;  try to increase candidate participation from Subdistrict 2 and 3.
  2. Ms. DeBough would like to have the Annual Meeting be a special meeting to review accomplishments, thank volunteers and board members over the past year and term
  3. Members discussed if October 26th, 2010 could be used as a special community meeting/vote alternative for Como TIP or other neighborhood issues.

Mid Year Contract Updates 

  1. Ms. Micek will assist Mr. Knox in completing the mid year city grant report. 
  2. Mr. Knox will contact Ms. Beth Ulrich about the status of the updates.

Meeting Adjourned - 8:50 PM

 

Prepared by Panod Klongtruatroke


District 10 Como Community Council | 1224 Lexington Pkwy N, Saint Paul, MN 55103 | 651.644.3889 | district10 [at] district10comopark.org

Site donated by: Havens Design, Matt Schmitt Photography
and UrbanPlanet Software LLC