Minutes- 6/6/12
Wednesday, July 25, 2012 10:00 AM

District 10 Como Community Council
Executive Committee Meeting
Historic Streetcar Station
Wednesday, June 6, 2012
7:00 p.m.

Members Present: John Knox (chair), Panod Klongtruatroke (vice chair), Linda Hinderscheit (secretary)

Staff Present: Jessie Bronk

Members Absent: Penny Spence (secretary)

Meeting Minutes

I. Call to order at 7:00 p.m.

II. Agenda approved

III. Garage Sale Evaluation: Jessie presented a breakdown of the costs and income from the Neighborhood Garage Sale. Jessie and the Neighborhood Relations & Safety Committee will discuss the outcome of the garage sale, and will put together a list of evaluation questions for the participants. Once the evaluation is complete, the NRSC will determine a date for next year’s sale and will make a recommendation to the board.

IV. COPP Grants
a. Ward 5: Funding needs to be requested by Friday, June 15. Committee made a motion to approve that we should request funding for Constant Contact for 3 years at $882.00. The committee also discussed requesting funding for the Business Association project that was not funded by Ward 4 COPP funding, as well a funding for printing of welcome brochures and booklets. Jessie will look in to the cost of printing welcome brochures and booklets.
b. Ward 4: There is an application packet to complete before we receive funding.

V. 2012 Contracts: We have not received our contracts back after our resubmission. Jon will contact Beth Ulrich to find out the status.

VI. Land Use Action Items: The Land Use Committee met Monday, June 4 and put together 3 action items to present to the board. Hmong Academy representatives, John Kohler from Semper Development, MGM representatives and 20+ community members were in attendance. For full meeting details, see Land Use Committee minutes.
a. Action item 1: A letter of support to the Housing Redevelopment Authority for the building addition at the Hmong Academy.
b. Action item 2: A letter to City Council restating our stance on the Conditional Use Permit for Semper Development.
c. Action item 3: A letter of support to the Board of Zoning Appeals for the variance requests from MGM. This is a time sensitive letter that must be submitted by the BZA meeting on Monday, June 11. The Executive Committee made a motion to approve the submittal of the letter.

VII. Sub-district Open Seat Entries: We have 2 candidates that have applied for the open sub-district boar seat. Jessie will create a voting guide for the e-newsletter and the board members.

VIII. June Council Meeting
a. Sgt. Anderson will be giving updates on recent theft from auto incidences in the neighborhood.
b. Rhett McSweeney will be providing updates on the Sholom Home renovation.
c. Metro Transit: Metro Transit will be presenting on the Central Corridor Transit Service Concept Plan.
d. Como Woodlands Advisory Committee will have an informational presentation for new board members on what they do as a committee. Deb Robinson is leaving the committee and will be there to give her farewells.

IX. Quarterly Newsletter Possible articles/Monitor: Ted Blank wrote an article for our monthly Monitor column.

X. Como Fest: The committee approved a payment of $115.00 for the printing of flyers. Jessie is working on a figuring out a final price for all marketing materials, and will get a confirmation from all participants on who have agreed to pay. We will need full board approval at the June Council Meeting to be the fiscal agent for Como Fest this year.

XI. Community Garden Update: The process for starting a community garden on state land has recently changed, so our original permit requests we made were denied and we have to go through the new process. The state now requires all community garden requests to go through the City of Saint Paul. St Paul has to be the applicant on the permit request, and if it is granted, our lease and contract would be with the City of Saint Paul. I am working with Bruce Beese, Administration Manager for Public Works to have him complete our permit request. Several other district councils have gone through the community garden process with the City, and it has worked well.

XII. Misc.: Jon took a tour of the Booth Brown House at the end of May.

XIII. Adjourned at approximately 9:00 p.m.

Minutes respectfully submitted by Jessie Bronk

District 10 Como Community Council | 1224 Lexington Pkwy N, Saint Paul, MN 55103 | 651.644.3889 | district10 [at] district10comopark.org

Site donated by: Havens Design, Matt Schmitt Photography
and UrbanPlanet Software LLC