Minutes-11/19/2013
Thursday, December 19, 2013 8:15 PM

District 10 Como Community Council Board Meeting

Historic Street Car Station

1224 Lexington Parkway, Saint Paul, MN  55108

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

7:00 PM

MINUTES

I. Call to Order: Chairperson Jon Knox called the meeting to order at 7:01 p.m.

II. Board Introductions:

Present: Jon Knox, Chris Harkness, Linda Hinderscheit, Debra Pursley, Pete Bolstad, Mary Michalski, Frank Dolejsi, Dana Saeger, Kim Moon, Tom Eyre, and Tedd James

Absent: Curt Stock, Jackie Gulbranson, Julie Tholen, and Patrick Tschida

Staff Present: Ted Blank

III. Review, Amend, Approval of Agenda:

Motion: Approve the agenda, moving review of boundary change to community discussion (Moon-Michalski) Passed.

IV. COMMUNITY SECTION:

A. Board Chair Report: There was a good attendance of community members at tonight’s meeting. Jon Knox thanked them for attending.

B. Treasurer's Report: Tom Eyre reported that the pancake breakfast was a huge success. Net profit (including the silent auction) was close to $1700, almost 4x as much as last year. Tom will be working on the 2014 budget soon. We will lose the income from distributing recycling bins soon. 

C. Guest Presentation: Mike Hahm, Director of Parks and Recreation, was invited to present at tonight's meeting. The Dept. of Parks and Rec has its own section in the City's comprehensive plan. Visions and plans are on City's website. There is a 5-year action plan that is updated each year. Parks & Rec will make an effort to circulate the information to District Councils as it is updated. Planning around Como Park is different from most other parks in the City, because Como Regional Park is part of Metropolitan Council open space system. Money is received from the State of MN. There is a master plan for the entire Regional Park, as well as separate plans for the zoo and conservatory. The recent transportation study is a substantive planning document. Project advisory committees are formed for major projects (such as recent updating of the play area). Parks & Rec is challenging itself to get more community participation. Mike Hahm congratulated us on the community attendance at tonight’s meeting.

Most service arrangements with independent groups, which are operating rec centers, are expiring and being reviewed. They are looking to update joint use agreement with Chelsea Heights/NW Como. The remainder of the walking path around Como Lake will be seal-coated next summer. The fountain will be restored; preliminary plans being developed. Request for proposals are being sent out for managing Como Golf Course. Parks & Rec plans to communicate with men's and women's golf clubs. They are planning to continue winter programs. They are not looking to close or sell the golf course, just looking for different ways of managing the golf course. Questions from the community were discussed and included: 

over-development of the park/parking; 

increase awareness of shuttle; 

perception that Como golf course is subsidizing Highland golf course; 

process once responses to RFPs are received and what is plan B; 

updates on signage in the Park; 

update on Streetcar bridge; 

signage that directs motorists on Highways 94 and 36 to Lexington, not Snelling near the shuttle lot at the Fairgrounds; 

how can a private, for-profit entity manage a golf course more cheaply than a public non-profit entity; 

if the golf course fails, will the golf course land remain parkland; 

tennis courts will return after roadway is re-aligned through the pool parking lot; and 

question re security at pool.

D. Miscellaneous Community Discussion: Pete Bolstad and David Arbeit, co-chairs of the Boundary Change ad hoc Committee, presented information on the process followed for the boundary change. January 1, 2014, is the effective date of the boundary change. The ad hoc committee was created to develop boundary change options and bylaws revisions. Guiding principles for sub-district boundary delineation included : fair representation; communities of interests; and geographic features. The scenarios considered were presented. The new sub-district 4 has a younger population, a higher percentage of minority members and a higher percentage of renters than the other three sub-districts. The board size will expand to 17 from 15 (two new directors from sub-district 4). A special election will be held in December to elect interim members from sub-district 4. Revised bylaws will include a provision for examining sub-district boundaries after each census. We will need to promote participation from residents in the new sub-district. 

V. BOARD BUSINESS SECTION:

A. Review/Amend/Approve Minutes and Financial Statements:

Motion: Approve tonight's financial statements and minutes of the 10/15/2013 meeting (Moon-Pursley). Passed.

B. Action Item: Bylaws revisions (Pete Bolstad and David Arbeit, co-chairs of ad hoc Boundary Change Committee)

Motion: Approve the recommended sub-district boundaries and proposed Bylaws revisions submitted by the ad hoc committee. (Harkness-Michalski) Passed.

C. Action Item: Nomination of Frank Dolejsi to the St. Paul Long-Range Capital Improvement Budget Committee. 

Motion:  Approve submission of Frank Dolejsi’s name to Mayor Coleman for consideration as a member of the Long-Range Capital Improvement Budget Committee (Moon-Bolstad) Passed.

D. Staff Report: Ted Blank reported that there will be a volunteer open house at the Streetcar Station on December 8th. Ted is requesting that committee chairs submit information about their committees, including additional personnel needs, by Dec. 2nd. December 2nd is also the deadline for submissions for the printed newsletter in the Midway Monitor. The Pancake Breakfast and Silent Auction were very successful this year. The Silent Auction made approximately $900. The annual fundraising appeal is ongoing. A mailing was sent to those who contributed last year.  We have received about $1000 so far (mailing and online). Committees should evaluate 2013 progress and finalize planning for 2014 in December and January, so we can submit our applications for city grants on time. The new applications from the city (merging crime prevention and citizen participation into “citizen engagement”) have not yet been finalized. 

E. Neighborhood Honor Roll: Ted Blank reported that each District Council may select 3 winners for the honor roll. Applications are due on Dec. 12th. The citywide celebration will be on January 31st. 

F. Committee Updates:

a. Land Use: Kim Moon reported that the action item on the letter of support for the Rice Street Streetcar should be tabled. The City will start a consultation process next year to examine the streetcar line proposals. Submitting a letter of support seems premature at this time.  The Dec. 2nd Land Use committee meeting agenda will include a request for a sound level variance for a fundraising event in February at the German Immersion School. 

b. District Plan ad hoc Committee: Chris Harkness reported that the committee continues to meet. Some chapters of the plan have been drafted.  

Action Item: Committee Charter Extension

Motion: Approve extension of the committee charter for the District Plan ad hoc Committee through December 31, 2014 (Bolstad-Eyre) Passed.

c. Neighborhood Relations and Safety: Mary Michalski reported that there is a new member on the committee. The meetings will be shortened to 1.5 hours from 2 hours. Dates have been chosen for next year's meeting. The committee is evaluating and prioritizing possible activities for next year. 

d. Environment Committee: Dana Saeger reported that the Sunday Series planning in underway.

e. Executive Committee:  Jon Knox reported on the lease for 2014. 

Action Item: Office Lease

Motion: Authorize the board chair to enter into the lease agreement with the City of St. Paul for the District 10 office in the Historic Streetcar Station for 1/1/2014 to 12/31/14, provided that the provisions listed in the action item remain the same (Moon-Michalski) Passed.  

f. Boundary Change ad hoc Committee: Pete Bolstad reported that the committee will meet less often. They will discuss their role in the volunteer recruitment Sunday

g. Como Regional Park Advisory Committee: Pete Bolstad reported that a new representative will need to be elected. 

VI. Adjourn: Motion to adjourn was made at 8:37 p.m. Passed.

Respectfully submitted by Linda R. Hinderscheit, Secretary

These minutes were approved on 12-17-2013. 

District 10 Como Community Council | 1224 Lexington Pkwy N, Saint Paul, MN 55103 | 651.644.3889 | district10 [at] district10comopark.org

Site donated by: Havens Design, Matt Schmitt Photography
and UrbanPlanet Software LLC