Minutes-09/19/2012
Thursday, October 18, 2012 7:45 PM

 

DISTRICT 10 COMO COMMUNITY COUNCIL BOARD MEETING

Historic Streetcar Station

1224 Lexington Parkway North, St Paul, MN 55103

Tuesday, September 19, 2012

7:00 PM

MINUTES

 

I. Call to Order: Chair Jon Knox called the meeting to order at 7:03 p.m.

II. Board Introductions 

Present: Jon Knox, Linda Hinderscheit, Kim Moon, Penny Spence, Panod Klongtruatroke, Tom Eyre, Curtis Stock, Ted Blank, Chris Harkness, Kate Wilinski, Laurie Erickson, Betsy Wehrwein and Dick Dian

Absent:  Ron Edlund and Jody McCardle

Staff Present: Jessie Bronk was not present because of vacation time.

III. Review, Amend, Approval of Agenda

Motion: Approve the agenda. (Moon-Spence) Passed.

IV. COMMUNITY SECTION

A. Board Chair Report: Annual elections are next month. We especially are in need of a Treasurer and Environmental Committee Chair.

B. Treasurer’s Report: Sixty-six percent of the year has passed. We have received 66% of our revenue and spent 67% of projected expenses. Yoga in the Park has been more profitable this year. Postage costs are up. We have not received a refund from the remaining balance from our old insurance company as of yet. 

C. Annual Pancake Breakfast: The pancake breakfast is scheduled for October 27th at the HHH Job Corps. Board members are asked to sell 10 adult and 10 child tickets each. This is one of our fundraisers. Penny distributed tickets and posters to board members and interested community members in attendance. Penny needs approximately 12-15 volunteers. Let her know what your preferences are. Penny is working out the details with HHH staff and administration. 

D. Community discussion on the State Fair 2012: There were several instances of political lawn signs being removed from lawns. There was an instance of a window being broken. A lawn ornament was stolen, but later recovered in some weeds several houses away. There seemed to be more trash on the streets and fewer trash barrels with less frequent pick up. There was a report of a person hauling a trailer full of trash, putting the trash INTO the State Fair trash barrels. There was another report of a car battery in the trash.  Penny Spence suggested drafting a letter to the State Fair suggesting a return to a greater number of barrels and more frequent pick up. There was more trash at the Sholom Home site because of the parking that was done there this year. We have had other issues with other events at the Fairgrounds (hot rod show, for example). Betsy Wehrwein pointed out that our community meetings with the Hmong Sports Festival have been productive and we should have a similar meeting with the Fair administration. The City of St. Paul and the St. Paul Police Department are instrumental in working with the community and the Lao Family (Hmong Sports Festival). Kim Moon suggested we invite the Fair administration to a Council meeting. Betsy suggested a community survey and a meeting with the City and us. Jon Knox suggested taking the "soft approach first" (come to a meeting of the Council). Jon will contact the Fair administration and invite them to a future board meeting. A suggestion was made for the Fair to have St Paul Parks and Rec take care of the trash for a fee, which would be a revenue source for the City.  We agreed that our first step is to invite them to a meeting. We also need to let the Fair administration know that the neighborhood sees positive aspects to the Fair.  On a related note, Dolores Rufenacht pointed out that the grass in Midway Parkway has been trampled and there primarily weeds growing there at this time. She suggested it be reseeded in the fall after the Fair. This is park land and belongs to the City of St. Paul. 

V. BOARD BUSINESS SECTION

A. Review/Amend/Approve Minutes & Financial Statements:

Motion: Approve minutes of 8/21/2012 meeting. (Moon-Spence) Passed

B. Staff Report (Jessie Bronk - Absent due to vacation time.)

C. District 10 Bylaws Final Version to be adopted in October: Ted Sheu and Nathan Volz were present for the Bylaws revision discussion. They were part of the ad hoc committee. The approval of the new Bylaws is planned as an action item for the October meeting of the Council. One of the major changes is to have the annual elections in April instead of October. Panod Klongtruatroke would like feedback from the Board regarding the changes to the latest draft of the Bylaws before the next Executive Council meeting on October 3rd. Boundaries of the District were investigated and, contrary to popular belief, the Streetcar Station is actually IN District 10. Voting rules for businesses within District 10 were clarified. 

D. Traditions Vacant Building Appeal – District 10 Letter: On Aug. 22nd, Rhett McSweeney, owner of Traditions (former Sholom Home property), filed an appeal to the City of St. Paul’s designation of Traditions as a vacant property. Jon Knox wrote a letter and attended the meeting to support the City's designation of Traditions as a vacant property. The Hearing Officer's decision was to   recommend to the City Council to deny Rhett McSweeney's appeal. The Executive Committee approved Jon's letter. Janice Rettman suggested that when problems are seen, call them all in to DSI or the Police Department. If excessive city services are used, the owner is fined as a way to get enforcement compliance. Rhett McSweeney cannot sell this property until it is up to code. 

Motion: Affirm the letter Jon had written to the Hearing Officer (Harkness-Wehrwein) Passed. 

E. District Boundaries: There are residents of District 6, who live on the border with District 10, who would prefer to be redistricted into District 10. The Chair of District 6 and Jon Knox have met on this topic. Under Amy Brendmoen's proposal, redistricting would add approximately 3,000 residents to District 10. There is a predetermined procedure, which would need to be followed for this to happen. Both Jon Knox and the Chair of District 6 feel it is a process that should be initiated by the residents who wish this to happen. It is unknown how many of the potentially affected 3,000 residents of District 6 want this to happen. Adding 3,000 people to our District does not necessarily mean we would get additional resources from the City; if we did, it would possibly be taken out of District 6 resources. Chris asked why Amy Brendmoen chose the boundaries that she did for the most recent proposal; however, Amy had left tonight's meeting by this time. A previous proposal from several years ago, had grassroots beginnings and suggested a much smaller area than Amy Brendmoen's current proposal. Nathan Volz and Chris Harkness indicated that the boundaries may have originally been drawn so one District Council did not control all park issues. Panod agreed that a proposal or petition must come from the interested residents of District 6. He also pointed out that we work well with District 6, but we should continue to improve our cooperation with them when working on Como Park issues. Art Oglesby, a resident of District 6, asked for clarification on what they need to do to initiate this process again. Jon volunteered to look into it for Art and get back to him. Curtis asked if there could be a process in which we could have a representative from neighboring districts participate in our governance. Jon pointed out that residents of neighboring districts may participate in our committees.   

F. Annual Elections: Linda Hinderscheit and Jon Knox comprise the nominating committee. The deadline for indicating that you wish to run for re-election is September 26th. The following Directors' terms are up in October:

o Vice Chair

o Treasurer

o Subdistrict 1-

o Subdistrict 2- 

o Subdistrict 3-

o At Large-

o At Large- 

o At Large-

G. Committee Updates

a. Land Use Committee: Kim Moon reported that we discussed a sound variance for a concert at Midway Parkway. The bus garage has a new tenant and there have been issues with buses driving through the neighborhood.

b. District Plan Ad Hoc Committee: Chris Harkness reported that Theo, our intern, has been working hard but is having trouble getting businesses engaged in the process. There is an article about the ad hoc committee study in the Monitor. Panod suggested that Theo contact the St. Paul Port Authority, and Janice Rettman suggested another contact for him. 

c. Neighborhood Relations & Safety Committee: Ted Blank reported that the last meeting was postponed.

d. District Operations Committee:  Jody McCardle was not present at tonight's meeting. The committee has not met since the last board meeting. 

e. Environment Committee: Ron Edlund has resigned at Chair of the Environment Committee. Linda Hinderscheit volunteered to chair tomorrow night's meeting of the committee as a permanent chair had not yet been found; however, most of the committee was not able to attend the meeting, so it has been cancelled. 

f. Bylaw Review- ad hoc Committee: See Item IV.C. above. 

V. Adjourn: Meeting was adjourned at 8:49 p.m.

Motion to adjourn. (Moon-Spence)  Passed.

Respectfully submitted by Linda R. Hinderscheit, Secretary

These minutes were approved on 10/16/2012.

 

District 10 Como Community Council | 1224 Lexington Pkwy N, Saint Paul, MN 55103 | 651.644.3889 | district10 [at] district10comopark.org

Site donated by: Havens Design, Matt Schmitt Photography
and UrbanPlanet Software LLC