Minutes - 7/2010
Friday, August 20, 2010 7:30 AM

DISTRICT 10 COMO COMMUNITY COUNCIL BOARD MEETING

Historic Streetcar Station
1224 North Lexington Parkway North, Saint Paul, MN55103
Tuesday July 20, 2010
7:00 PM
 
Directors Present: Pete Bolstad, Barbara Clark, Chris Harkness, Panod Klongtruatroke, Jon Knox, Monica Lofgren, Mike MacDonald, Chris Martineau, Marcy Micek, Marsha Milgrom, Dolores Rufenacht
 
Directors Excused: Scott Baker, Chris Bedford, Barbara Frick andMatt Schmitt
 
Staff Present: Rhonda DeBough Insook
 
        I.            Call to Order                                                                                                                     
 
The meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m.
 
      II.            Review, Amend, Approval of Agenda                                                                   
 
Micek motioned to accept agenda with changes to order of board section, seconded by Milgrom. Unanimously approved.
 
    III.            COMMUNITY SECTION 
                                                                                       
A.      Board Chair Report – under Special Presentation, C.
 
B.      Treasurer’s Report
 
Micek reported the district has begun submitting expense information and is working with staff to revise accounts to be more meaningful. 
 
C.      Special Presentation
 
Knox thanked retiring board member Matt Schmitt for his dedication to the community and the district.   Schmitt will be moving out of the district shortly.
 
D.      Crime in Como
 
The West side of Park has seen noticed crime – break-in’s, etc.   A reminder to look for people who seem out of place and call the non-emergency number if necessary.  Josh Witte reported on police procedures regarding two highly publicized separate incidents. 
 
A community member discussed a January burglary in her home. There had been door- to-door sales persons the night before there. She has been sharing police pamphlets.  
 
District 10 can post an electronic copy or key points on the web.  On Aug. 19 at the Linwood Community Center, the Summit district also invites attendees for a workshop on “what to do before a burglar comes.”    The Safety Committee meets Aug. 11.
 
Knox also recommended attending the weekend’s Staycation activities as well as the formal August National Night out event.
 
E.       Hmong Festival Issues
 
A community member noted the lack of parking and dropping off on Lexington was helpful this year.  Overall traffic seemed better, in part due to shuttle use perhaps.  Varying degrees of noise noticed in different parts of district areas.  Staff is collecting neighborhood feedback to share.
 
F.       Transportation Plan Update/TIP (Pete Bolstad)
 
Bolstad shared results of surveys publicized via District 10. There are many opinions expressed. Dennis O’Rourke, TIP lead representative, has heard loud and clear from District 10 residents want preservation of green space. He sent a letter stating that he believes outcomes are being driven by City staff, with little or no voice from citizen participants. The letter was shared with Councilmember Stark.  This statement was a result of newly created architectural drawings not shared prior with citizen representatives nor members of the public.
 
Bolstad said O’Rourke was particularly concerned over diminishment of green space and of the possible overturning of permit parking.
 
The Neighbor Relations Committee and District 10 stand by their resolution to support the community vote in favor of permit parking. 
 
The final open house will be on Thurs., August 12 at the Conservatory from 6-8. The meeting is to be taped and available on the city site, and opinions will be solicited via a survey between the two weeks of August 12-24. 
 
G.      Community Discussion
 
A community member requested board packets be online, which is a current practice.
 
    IV.            BOARD BUSINESS SECTION                                         
                                       
A.      Review/Amend/Approve Minutes & Financial Statements 
 
Changes made to spelling of name --. Motion to approve by Clark, seconded by Micek.
 
B.      Staff Reports (moved– change to C)
 
C.      Committee Updates
 
a.       HR Work Group Update (Marsha Milgrom)
 
Milgrom provided an update to board regarding the work of the group to review comparative policies and recommend changes. 
 
b.      Financial Development Committee (Chris Bedford)
 
Reported under VA, Action Items.
 
c.       Neighborhood Relations Committee (Chris Martineau)
 
Martineau will be seeking ideas for new topics for the committee and invites input.
 
d.      Environment Committee (Mike MacDonald)
 
MacDonald reported the Garden Tour is coming this Sat. as part of the Staycation. Tree recognition continues. A weeding event will take place at Lake Como.  MacDonald also reported on a solar water heating initiative available to district residents.
 
e.      Communications Committee (Matt Schmidt)
 
Panod Klongtruatroke is appointed interim Communications Chair. A new chair will be named after October elections.  Publishing of the newsletter is a large task. Several community members have expressed interest. Clark has brought up the possibility of district council standards with regard to consistent publications.
 
f.        Neighborhood Safety Committee (Dolores Rufenacht)
 
Rufenacht reported a meeting to discuss the upcoming bike tour with educational activities.  The tour will begin at 2 and end at 4, and will feature historic parts of Como Park.  A drawing will take place at 4:30.
 
Pete Bolstad suggested that persons participating might wish to write comments about the bike trails for use on the Transportation Plan.
 
Jon Knox commended Monica Lofgren for her excellent design work. Lofgren also helped obtain Twins and Saints tickets as part of the Staycation event. 
 
g.       Land Use Committee (Chris Harkness)
 
Harkness discussed the Hmong Festival again and asked for feedback. She said she’s received feedback on the 50’s/hotrod event in June from residents. There is no recent news on Walgreen’s or on the Sholom Home developments. 
 
h.      Lex/Larp Ad Hoc Committee (motion to dissolve)
 
Chris Harkness explained the committee needs formal dissolution. Harkness moved to dissolve, seconded by Pete Bolstad.  Motion passed.
 
i.        Community Organizer Update
 
Rhonda DeBough discussed the Staycation activities. The weekend has been well publicized. Board members are invited to attend and can wear nametags identifying themselves. Upcoming events require board involvements: Halloween Pancake Breakfast, etc. New prospective board members have submitted applications.
 
      V.            Action Items                                                                                                                     
 
A.      Fiscal Sponsorship Decision Points
 
Action item of criteria proposed for future fiscal sponsorship requests. Discussion pertaining to what weight if any is assigned to each of the 12 points. Clark will volunteer to develop the points. Micek also questions criteria. K. would also like to see an accompanied document that might initially cap sponsorships above $5,000. Knox also proposed limits to the number of sponsorships at any given time. Motion by Clark to approve decision points as the basis for exploring a complete fiscal sponsorship decision process in the future, seconded by Micek. Motion passed unanimously. 
 
    VI.            Adjourn                                                                                                                              
 
Meeting adjourned at 8:43
 
Respectfully submitted by Marsha Milgrom.

District 10 Como Community Council | 1224 Lexington Pkwy N, Saint Paul, MN 55103 | 651.644.3889 | district10 [at] district10comopark.org

Site donated by: Havens Design, Matt Schmitt Photography
and UrbanPlanet Software LLC