Minutes - 6/2009
Monday, July 20, 2009 9:55 PM

 Executive Board Meeting Minutes 

June 3, 2009 

Page 1 of 3 



District 10 Community Council 

Executive Committee Meeting 

Historic Streetcar Station 

June 3, 2009 7:00 p.m. 





Present: David Arbeit, Ted Sheu, Marcy Micek, Lori Klongtruatroke, Camille Schafer, Rhonda 




1. Call to Order 


2. Approve Agenda/ Review/Approve May Minutes 

Motioned by Marcy and seconded by Ted.  May minutes and June agenda unanimously 


3. Chair Report (David)


4. Financial Update (Marcy) 

Nothing big outstanding.  Reimbursements should start to happen shortly. 

5. Organizer Report -- Activities and Issues 

Camille: COPP Grant (2008) we can claim the remaining $510.00 from 2008 that has to 

be spent by July 1 with some purchases that have already been made. We should be able 

to meet that with those purchases.  2009 COPP Grant is finalized and ready to go.   

Rhonda: Neil Kraus, a resident of Dist. 10, offered some advice as far as how to use the 

time from interns wisely.  Russ Stark currently is seeking information on how 

communities deal with public/private relations.  There is an individual named Annie who 

would be working with Rhonda and taking information with how Como Park deals with 

these issues to Russ Stark, after approval from the Board in September. 

David Arbeit spoke to ensuring that the intern, Annie, understand that she does not 

represent the Council and that she come before the Council in June and introduce herself 

and explain to the Board what she will be working on  

Neil Kraus and Chai Insook are going to be looking at crime stats and analyzing 

historical data. 

There will be a group of people in the fall who will be working on compiling census data 

for the District. 

There will likely not be a Tai Chi in the park this summer, but there will be free dodge 


Senior Fair will be approaching soon and Rhonda would like to see Board members staff 

Executive Board Meeting Minutes 

June 3, 2009 

Page 2 of 3 


our booth.   

The clean alley contest will have a donation from Coffee Grounds for the winner. 

Having a neighborhood event co-sponsored with Como Alliance in regards to the 

historical Streetcar Station could be a good idea.  We should try to bring it before the 

Board in July. 

Rhonda went to a training dealing with engaging the community and she suggests having 

someone named Tate come and talk to the Executive Committee.  Tate has the ability to 

bring a large turn out to their community meetings. 

The Capitol Region Watershed Dist. Is having an event shortly that Rhonda would like to 

have Dist. 10 man a table for two hours. 

Rhonda is hoping to have a new brochure ready and printed by July. 



6. Discussions 

a. Summer Staffing 

Rhonda will be leaving for vacation on Tuesday next week.  Josh (an intern) will be 

working 10 hrs/wk.  Rhonda is looking at having him here for possibly longer on the 

weeks she will be gone.  David agreed that was a good idea. 

b. Transportation Meeting 

The shuttle will be here at the Streetcar Station on Thursday night to promote the 

shuttle program.   

c. June Special Election 

There are three individuals who are interested in running for the open position.   

d. MGM Ruling – Lexington/Larpenteur/California Issues (Sheu) 

The ruling was handed down from the MN Court of Appeals on June 2nd.  The City 

will likely be allowed to re-charge MGM again.  Ted Sheu is going to be planning a 

meeting with Lee Helgen to discuss the ruling.  The ad-hoc committee will be 

meeting on June 8th.  Ted is going to summarize the opinion of the Court for the 

Council at the June meeting.   

e. CIB Hearings/Recommendations 

A question was brought to the Board by a Board member if the Council did enough to 

inform the community about the pool.  The feeling was that there was a process in 

place and many notices went out to the community regarding the pool planning 

process and the pool task force meetings. 

David went on to explain that the Como pool has been removed from the tentative 

funding recommendation list for the 2010-2011 CIB budget.  Only the essential 

infrastructure and safety projects remained on the tentative funding recommendation 


Marsha (on the Task Force) will be finalizing a minority report and it should be ready 

for presentation to the Board this month. 


Executive Board Meeting Minutes 

June 3, 2009 

Page 3 of 3 


f. Traffic Calming Grant   

This will be brought to the June Board meeting by the individuals who were 

responsible for the grant for clarification. 

g. District Councils Collaborative/Community Statement 

Trying to get individuals involved in the Central Corridor right now may be difficult 

since there is currently little impact on the District.  If/when the time comes that 

District 10 is impacted by the Central Corridor we may need to reassess our 

involvement with the DCC. 

h. Grant Sponsorship 

Marcy spoke about researching the possibility of the Council being a fiscal sponsor.  

There are a large amount of legal issues when dealing with this.  She wants to know if 

some of the lawyers on the Board could offer their expertise about grant sponsorship. 

It would be needed before moving forward and offering that service to the 



7. Agenda for May Board Meeting 

a. Guest Speaker Options 

i. Como Park Alliance (Susan Jane) 

b. Community Meeting Issues - TBD 

Report about the traffic/parking meeting and community input. 

c. Reports/Discussions/Update Items 

i. Lexington/Larpenteur/California Area Development 


d. Action Items (Possible) 

i. District Council Collaborative Membership 

ii. Friends of Parks & Trails Award Nominations 

iii. Traffic Calming Project 


8. Adjourn 



Meeting minutes submitting by Lori Klongtruatroke 

District 10 Como Community Council | 1224 Lexington Pkwy N, Saint Paul, MN 55103 | 651.644.3889 | district10 [at] district10comopark.org

Site donated by: Havens Design, Matt Schmitt Photography
and UrbanPlanet Software LLC